Roomba has been selling robot vacuums since 2002, and today the company announced an acquisition by Amazon. The deal is valued at $1.7 billion — about two-thirds what Microsoft paid for Minecraft maker Mojang in 2014.
The acquisition is still awaiting approval by regulatory authorities and iRobot's shareholders, so it's not entirely a done deal yet. The purchase would make Amazon even more of a centerpiece in home tech, adding to the mix of Echo speakers, TVs, and Ring security cameras already present in millions of homes.
Amazon and iRobot didn't mention exactly why the acquisition was happening, besides seeing "what we can build together for customers in the years ahead," or what will change for people with Roomba vacuums. It's safe to assume iRobot's products will fit in more with Amazon's ecosystem, besides the Alexa integration that has been around for a few years. We'll probably also see Roomba devices on deep discounts during Amazon's typical Prime Day events, just like Echo and RIng products.
Amazon has been on a shopping spree lately (get it?), as it just finished its acquisition of MGM for $8.45 billion in March , and announced it was buying One Medical last month. That's on top of everything already under Amazon's umbrella, including the Amazon.com store, Ring cameras, the Alexa digital assistant, Amazon Web Services, and much more.
- › Should You Turn Up the Transmit Power on Your Wi-Fi Router?
- › Radio Shack's First PC: 45 Years of TRS-80
- › Don't Buy a Wi-Fi Extender: Buy This Instead
- › What's New in Chrome 104, Available Now
- › Edifier Neobuds S Review: The Good, the Bad, and the Buggy
- › Which Smartphone Accessories Are Worth Buying?
- Nintendo Switch Mario Kart Black Friday bundle in stock? Check inventory at Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart
- Nintendo Switch Mario Kart bundle restock for Cyber Monday: How to check inventory at Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart
- Coming 2 America forgoes theatrical release as Amazon Studios buys the Eddie Murphy sequel from Paramount and sets a December digital debut
- Xbox Series X available by Black Friday? Check restock availability at Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart and more
- Microsoft buys Mojang and Minecraft for $2.5bn
- Xbox Series X available on Thursday? Check restock availability at Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart and more
- Nintendo Switch bundle in stock on Black Friday? How to check at Best Buy, Amazon and Walmart
- Nintendo Switch Mario Kart Black Friday bundle in stock? Check inventory at Walmart, Amazon and Best Buy
- Early Black Friday deal: Nintendo Switch Mario Kart bundle hits Best Buy, Amazon, Target on Nov. 22
- The best Black Friday Amazon Echo deals 2020
- Amazon Black Friday warning - 'stolen' reviews, system abuse and don't trust Alexa
- Nintendo Switch Mario Kart bundle for Black Friday? Check restock options at Walmart, Best Buy and more
Amazon Wants to Buy Roomba for Two-Thirds of a Minecraft have 483 words, post on www.howtogeek.com at August 5, 2022. This is cached page on Konitono.Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.