After signing a 5G deal with Qualcomm and ending its relationship with Intel, Apple reportedly won’t have a home-made 5G modem until 2025. According to a report by The Information, Apple is seeking to “reduce its reliance on outside companies for key components inside its devices”. “Its multi-year modem agreement with Qualcomm may only be temporary, since Apple has a large in-house team developing its own modem,” The Information claimed. “But that in-house effort appears to be farther from fruition than some chip experts have predicted. In interviews with prospective hires for the team, Apple has told engineers that they expect to have their own modem ready by 2025, a person familiar with the discussions said.” Intel had exited the 5G phone modem business following the Apple-Qualcomm legal settlement that led to the two striking a 5G chip deal in April. At the time, Intel CEO Bob Swan confirmed to the Wall Street Journal that his company’s decision to exit the 5G phone modem business was due to Apple and Qualcomm. “In light of the announcement of Apple and Qualcomm, we assessed the prospects for us to make money while delivering this technology for smartphones and concluded at the time… Read full this story
- The $1 billion Apple-Intel 5G deal is a win-win, but Qualcomm shouldn't be worried (yet)
- Huawei Launches Kirin 990 Chipset With Built-In 5G Modem
- Need speed? Qualcomm unveils the Snapdragon X55, the world’s fastest 5G modem
- WATCH: Apple's Siri Interrupts Weather Report on Live Television, Contradicts Forecast
- Indian internet industry set to be worth around $160 billion by 2025: Report
- Google, Facebook, Uber, Apple Among Biggest EU Lobbyists - Report
- Qualcomm’s working with Apple “as fast as it can” to help launch a 5G iPhone
- Patent settlement with Apple nets Qualcomm a cool $4.5 billion (or more)
- Intel's Officially Out of the Smartphone Modem Following $1 Billion Deal with Apple
- Intel completes sale of mobile modem business to Apple
- Intel says it sold its cellular modem business to Apple at "a multi-billion dollar loss"
- O2 Launches Its 5G UK Network in Five UK Cities
Apple won't have its own 5G modem until 2025: Report have 348 words, post on www.cnet.com at May 15, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.