The Justin Fields era at Ohio State is over. The C.J. Stroud era has
Last night, the Buckeyes took the field for their season opener at Minnesota. The Golden Gophers are an underrated team (probably should've been ranked to start the season), but should not hold a candle to Ohio State — the No. 4 team in America. However, in last night's game, not only was Minnesota competitive, but it had Ohio State fans sweating for more than half the game.
A large reason Buckeye fans were so worried was because of the lackluster play from their new redshirt freshman quarterback C. QB battle was brewing between Stroud, true freshman Kyle McCord, and NIL darling Quinn Ewers .
After Stroud struggled mightily in the first half of last night's game to the tune of 8-of-14 passing for just 58 yards, no touchdowns, and one pick, some people were
Day didn't listen, and he continued to play Stroud for the remainder of the game and was rewarded when
So, what was the takeaway from Stroud's first start in scarlet and grey? Does he look like someone capable of carrying the weight of being Ohio State's starting
Based on the box score, you'd probably have one of two responses,
"Absolutely, just look at that yards per attempt. He's clearly got that explosiveness factor that teams look for at quarterback."
"No way. Do you see that inconsistency? That won't cut it against the elite teams of college football like Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson."
In actuality, neither of these statements is truly accurate.
While most people believe Stroud looked downright awful
- He was patient in the pocket. There were times where he left the pocket too early and tried to roll before he needed to, but on most of his dropbacks, he stayed calm and kept his eyes downfield trusting his offensive line.
- He would consistently look for big play opportunities first, yet was still ready to flip a pass to his checkdown should he need to. I'm not saying that he was afraid to throw deep. He wasn't. His third pass attempt of the game was a deep shot down the right sideline for Garrett Wilson that was just out of his reach. He also made a nice throw with less than a minute and a half left in the first quarter to his star receiver Chris Olave way down the field that drew a pass interference call and set up the Buckeyes for a field goal.
- His accuracy was questionable . That was the biggest grievance I had with his performance. Yes, his interception was tipped in the air by his receiver, but the throw shouldn't have been that far behind Olave.
That wasn't good, but the kid is just 19 years old. The accuracy is something that Day and the Ohio State coaching staff can work with him on.
- He seemed nervous: This is to be
In the second half, the Buckeyes made an attempt to run the ball more, and that they did. They ran the ball
Look how hard the linebackers bite on play-action
As great as Stroud was in the second half, he still struggled to complete tight-
I like Stroud a lot. From what I saw yesterday, he has the physical tools and smarts to make Ohio State a national championship contender yet
- Five things we learned in Ulster's opening PRO14 win over Scarlets
- Celebrity MasterChef final, review: the episode may have been bloated but champion John Partridge won our hearts
- Dopey Stoke, Derby motoring & inconsistent Forest: 3 up, 3 down
- ‘Inconsistent’ Slinfold relegated on final day despite beating local rivals Steyning
- Moeen Ali spins England to 60-run victory to wrap up series win against India
- Moeen Ali spins England to 60-run victory to wrap up series win against India: live updates
- Seamers surge through India to put England 2-0 up with innings win
- Down, Derry and Antrim all fail to make the top 12 in review of the 2018 season
- Valtteri Bottas follows Mercedes team orders to give Lewis Hamilton Russian GP win
- Luke Shaw scores first career goal as Man Utd make winning start against Leicester
- Wycombe Wanderers 1 Northampton Town 1 – match review and player ratings
- The 12-game review that shows history and numbers are on Sunderland’s side in automatic promotion push
C.J. Stroud impressed, despite inconsistent debut in win over Minnesota - let's review have 766 words, post on deadspin.com at September 3, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.