After more than a year in a clay-rich region, Curiosity is making a mile-long journey around some deep sand so that it can explore higher up Mount Sharp.NASA’s Curiosity Mars rover has started a road trip that will continue through the summer across roughly a mile (1.6 kilometres) of terrain. By trip’s end, the rover will be able to ascend to the next section of the 3-mile-tall Martian (5-kilometer-tall) mountain it’s been exploring since 2014, searching for conditions that may have supported ancient microbial life.Located on the floor of Gale Crater, Mount Sharp is composed of sedimentary layers that built up over time. Each layer helps tell the story about how Mars changed from being more Earth-like — with lakes, streams, and a thicker atmosphere — to the nearly-airless, freezing desert it is today.The rover’s next stop is a part of the mountain called the “sulfate-bearing unit.” Sulfates, like gypsum and Epsom salts, usually form around water as it evaporates, and they are yet another clue to how the climate and prospects for life changed nearly 3 billion years ago.But between the rover and those sulfates lies a vast patch of sand that Curiosity must drive… Read full this story
- Aussie spot among world’s most insta-worthy road trips
- NASA to reveal name of latest Mars rover
- Road Tripping Through Popular Culture
- UL softball coach Gerry Glasco hopes his Cajuns have enough steam left to finish off long road trip in style
- A road trip to Mexico’s secret, surreal jungle garden
- LSU softball prepares for tough road trip: 'We see pressure as a privilege'
- 'Little People, Big World' Star Amy Roloff Meets Boyfriend Chris Marek's Family on Thanksgiving Road Trip
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie review: A (super) fast, fun and jolly road trip
- Damian Lillard injury update: Blazers star to reportedly travel on road trip, likely to miss couple more games
- 'Gifted' College Student, 21, Killed by Flying Tires in Accident During Spring Break Road Trip
- Take a retro road trip to this hip Texas motor court-style hotel
- It rules that there's a game about repairing, but not driving, Mars rovers
Curiosity Mars Rover’s summer road trip has begun have 356 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at July 8, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.