For seven decades, America’s strength, security and prosperity have been underpinned by our unmatched network of treaty alliances, cemented in shared democratic values and a recognition of our common security. But after three years of Donald Trump’s insults and antics, our alliances are under enormous strain. The damage done by the president’s hostility toward our closest partners was on full display at this week’s gathering of Nato leaders in London, which should have been an unequivocal celebration of the 70th anniversary of the most successful alliance in history. The success of Nato was not inevitable, easy or obvious. It is a remarkable and hard-won accomplishment, and one based on a recognition that the United States does not become stronger by weakening our allies. But that is just what Trump has done, repeatedly and deliberately. He treats our partners as burdens while embracing autocrats from Moscow to Pyongyang. He has cast doubt on the US commitment to Nato at a moment when a resurgent Russia threatens our institutions and freedoms. He has blindsided our partners on the ground in Syria by ordering a precipitate and uncoordinated withdrawal. He has attempted to shake down South Korea and Japan, evidently mistaking our security… Read full this story
- Donald Trump quotes an iconic poem written by Scott Morrison's great-great aunt at a lavish state dinner in the White House's Rose Garden in front of the who's who of Australia and the US
- Angela Merkel and Donald Trump head for clash at G20 summit
- Harry Dunn's mother slams 'oafish and insulting' Donald Trump after he defends US spy's wife who killed her son in crash because it's difficult 'driving on wrong side of road' - then flashes note revealing she WON'T face justice in Britain
- Democrats get ready to ram through next phase of Donald Trump impeachment inquiry in face of Republican objections as he demands his party 'stand together and defender the leader' against 'smears'
- Boris Johnson intervenes over US diplomat's wife: PM telephones Donald Trump to urge he 'reconsiders' decision to give diplomatic immunity woman who fled Britain after hit-and-run crash that left 19-year-old dead
- Donald Trump: Hero Dog ‘Conan’ to Visit White House Next Week
- Donald Trump is branded a 'disgrace' who 'undermines' the Special Relationship between the UK and the US by furious British politicians after he refuses to send diplomat's wife back to face justice after she killed a teen in a road accident
- Carrie Symonds to take her first overseas trip with boyfriend Boris Johnson to New York as the PM meets Donald Trump, Macron and Merkel at the UN
- Far Cry New Dawn features Donald Trump’s Space Force
- Donald Trump says 'I don't blame Kim Jong-un' for wanting 'nothing to do with John Bolton' as he unloads on fired 'tough guy' national security adviser after getting rid of him because he believed he was leaking
- Donald Trump Congratulates Nationals for World Series Victory, Despite Booing Swamp Fans
- Donald Trump's Genitals Compared With "Toad" of Mario Kart By Stormy Daniels
Donald Trump has destroyed American leadership – I'll restore it have 507 words, post on www.theguardian.com at December 8, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.