HARRISBURG – The fire broke out quickly this morning, and Marcia Piper managed to make just as fast of an escape.
She saw the flames coming from another apartment and said she heard a loud bang. Within moments, she had her cat, Purple Haze, packed up in a suitcase and escaped this morning’s fire on the 1200 block of Chestnut Street in Harrisburg.
It’s a fire that was caused by unattended cooking, Harrisburg Bureau of Fire Chief Brian Enterline said today.
Enterline said the call came in Sunday morning for a fire that broke out in a three-story row home. When crews arrived, the found fire venting out of the back of the building.
“The fire department did a tremendous job knocking it down,” Enterline said.
They were able to contain the blaze to the first floor of the building and to one apartment for the most part. Flames shooting up from the first floor did cause some minor second-floor damage, he said.
At the scene, crews used a ladder truck to knock down some of the fire, and vented the building out with an industrial fan. The smell of smoke lingered in the neighborhood as residents watched fire crews come in and out, containing the blaze.
One resident has been displaced by the fire and is being aided by the American Red Cross, Enterline said.
- Fires near vineyards, Yosemite park threaten homes
- Easing conditions help Australian fire crews
- The 10 most innovative homes of 2016
- 30 feared dead in Canadian home for elderly fire
- Here’s what a one-bedroom apartment looks like in America’s most expensive rental markets
- J. Crew founder, Arthur Cinader, dies at 90
- You can live in the Western Hemisphere’s tallest apartment building for just $60,000 a month
- A Home Away from Home
- Graduating student, crew cadet among those missing from sunken RORO in Batangas
- A Ghost Story review – Casey Affleck goes undercover in a strange and haunting tale
- Trump’s childhood home in New York City just sold for $2.1 million — take a look inside
- Forget Craigslist — I found an amazing apartment in San Francisco using Yelp