NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. — One person was hospitalized late Tuesday after flames tore through a New Port Richey house.
- Fire destroys New Port Richey home late Tuesday
- Firefighters battle fire, oxygen tank explosions from inside home
- 1 person in home treated for smoke inhalation; No other injuries
According to Pasco County Fire Rescue, the fire broke out at a home in the 7600 block of Atherton Avenue.
Firefighters said the fire became more difficult for crews after an explosion inside the structure.
Everyone inside the home got out safe although one elderly person was taken to an area hospital with smoke inhalation. That person is expected to be okay.
Firefighters said the entire house quickly became engulfed in flames.
Fire officials said the residents were cooking with oil and it splashed onto the stove, starting the fire. Making matters worse were several oxygen containers inside the home, which began explosing after firefighters arrived.
No firefighters were injured while extinguishing the fire, which did not spread to any neighboring homes.
- Crews stabilizing, monitoring depression under New Port Richey homes
- Cotee River Bike Fest rolls into New Port Richey
- New Port Richey Aims at Preserving Housing Stock
- Pasco Pride hosts inaugural festival in downtown New Port Richey
- New supermarket in New Port Richey expected to fill fresh food void
- Undercover sting leads to prostitution arrests at New Port Richey spas
- New Port Richey councilman: Should the city spend $800,000 on a fire truck or let the county handle it?
- Florence evacuee seeks shelter in New Port Richey
- Depression opens between homes in New Port Richey neighborhood
- New Port Richey gets peek at plans for library — which may include a cafe
- Police identify body found Wednesday in New Port Richey
- New Port Richey man who died in scooter crash identified