Helite, the French company behind protective motorcycle and ski jackets with built-in airbags, now has a protective vest for cyclists that uses the same technology. Helite B’Safe is a smart airbag vest that protects bike riders in case of accident.
Helite first came to our attention at last year’s CES when they shared the Hip’Air (now the Hip’Safe) a pair of airbags inside a belt that deploys when someone falls to protect their hips. Now the company is focused on reducing the injuries cyclists experience when they fall during a ride.
B’Safe uses two sensors, one mounted on your bike’s saddle post and the other inside the vest. The saddle sensor detects shocks from the surface you’re riding on as well as its proximity to the vest sensor which analyzes driver position and speed.
It takes 60-milliseconds for the sensors to detect a fall and 80-milliseconds for the airbags to inflate.
The vests themselves have a Patagonia-look and come in black or neon yellow. The price is expected to be around $700 which converts roughly to £545, AU$975 and will be available next spring in the US and Europe.
CES 2019: Every story so far: See all of CNET’s coverage of the year’s biggest tech show.
CES 2019 schedule: It’s six days of jam-packed events. Here’s what to expect.
- Staten Island dog group donates vest to protect Missouri K-9 unit
- BMW Motorrad shows off self-driving R 1200 GS motorcycle at CES
- Concord September bike death was city’s first in a decade
- Clarus’ Black Diamond to Introduce Fall 2019 Collection, Showcasing Snow Safety and Apparel Categories
- This mask at CES promises to block air pollution during your workout
- Yellow vest protests: France prepares for "ultra-violent" demonstrations
- Ligonier PD protected against rifles (copy)
- What’s next for New Orleans' bike lane network as the Connect the Crescent demonstration ends?
- Starkey Hearing Technologies Named CES Innovation Awards Honoree
- Get Moving: Biking moves your body and mind in a positive direction
- Gentex Tech to be Featured on Rinspeed’s microSNAP Autonomous Vehicle Concept at CES
- Vests protecting pets from coyotes sweep the nation