If you're a fan of working from the desktop on your Mac, you might enjoy seeing icons for hard disks, removable drives, optical media, and network shares directly on the desktop itself. They can be handy shortcuts. Here's how to enable them.
To see drive icons on your desktop, we'll need to make a change in Finder's preferences. Focus on Finder by clicking its icon in your dock.
In the menu bar at the top of the screen, click "Finder" and select "Preferences" from the menu, or you can press Command+Comma on your keyboard.
When Finder Preferences opens, click the "General" tab and locate the "Show these items on the desktop" section. Here's what these options mean:
- Hard disks: Storage devices installed in your Mac, such as hard drives and SSDs .
- External disks: Removable storage devices, including USB flash drives.
- CDs, DVDs, and iPods: Optical media inserted into a drive (if your Mac has one) and iPods that are connected to your Mac.
- Connected servers: Network shares or drives that your Mac is currently connected to.
Place check marks beside each item category that you'd like to see on your desktop.
Next, close Finder Preferences. If you have any of these devices connected to your computers, you should already see icons for them on your desktop. If not, you can test them out by plugging in a USB drive, connecting to a network drive, or inserting a CD.
If you change your mind and want to clean up your desktop, just open Finder Preferences again (remember Command+Comma) and uncheck any drives that you no longer want to see. Remember that you can still access the drives in the Finder sidebar even if they aren't visible on the desktop.
Have fun configuring your Mac!
- UIL Texas Football Championships on FOX Sports Southwest
- Monster Energy Supercross gears up for first LIVE appearance on FOX
- FOX Sports North finalizes details for Hockey Day Minnesota 2016
- FOX puts super focus on Daytona 500 with 80+ hours of coverage
- UFC Spring Sweepstakes OFFICIAL SWEEPSTAKES RULES
- Hogan’s return adds muscle to WrestleMania 30
- So This Is What a $1500 Android Wear Watch Looks Like
How to See Storage Device Icons on Your Mac Desktop have 431 words, post on www.howtogeek.com at May 3, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono.Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.