You came, you saw, and we listened—and we're going to try to make it even better, blacker, and more beautiful, all year round. After the success of Black-Owned Beauty Month in February, we decided to create a weekly showcase for black beauty products, talent
That's what happened when a box arrived at The Glow Up's satellite office (also known as my apartment in Chicago) containing a full-sized array of goodies from Curls Dynasty , one of several black-owned brands now available at Target. Inside were the line's Give Me Slip Blast Hydration Conditioner ($14—also great as a co-wash), Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Deep Conditioning Masque ($16), Kalahari Smoothie Leave-In ($13) and Twisted Definition Twisting Cream ($15). After days of hauling boxes around, I was more than ready for a refresh—and coincidentally, couldn't find the box with all my other hair products in it—so, let's consider it fate
First yum ? The all-natural ingredients founder Nickie Nougaisse has packed into these formulas are as refreshingly sweet and creamy as gelato on a sweltering day. (Seriously, you're going to be tempted to taste them. Don't do it.) But backing up the delicious fragrances and lush textures are results ; my curls instantly felt hydrated, and slippage was an understatement.
One word to the wise: Know thy hair. I was doing great with a co-wash/condition/leave-in combination using the first three products listed above; but knowing that my strands easily get weighed down and go limp with too much product, I probably should've paused and waited for a day I wasn't also deep conditioning. But the Twisted Definition was simply too tempting to leave unopened, so despite the fact that I was exhausted, I applied some to my damp hair and braided it before bed
All said, between the formulas and the price point, this could very well become a habit. (All four products for less than $60? Sign me up.) And it's great to see Target continuing to do the great work of giving us options in the hair care aisle. There's clearly never been a better time to go natural.
Speaking of natural (and also delicious-smelling): a brand-new line of products that also arrived on my doorstep last week was a collection of all-natural whipped body butters from Flavorsome Skin . Granted, I almost didn't dig in; these butters were piped so gorgeously into the jar, it was like defiling a cupcake. Then, I remembered how much I like cupcakes, and carried on. Baby, when I tell you I was smelling like a sugar cookie after using these—in the best way possible
Trying them out for myself, I can vouch that the formulas melt into your skin (mine was especially thirsty), leaving a gleaming but not greasy finish. They also tout wrinkle reduction, scar fading Mango and Shea Whipped Body Butter ($14) and the Shea Whipped Body Butter ($15); both smell and behave wonderfully, but whew, did that Mango win my heart! Flavorsome also makes a Mango Hair Souffle ($14); I haven't tried it yet, but if it smells as good and performs as beautifully as the body butters, it may have to make its way into my medicine cabinet!
And finally, a lewk , which was prompted by both the playful mood I was in today and the impending return of one of my favorite shows (and likely yours), Game of Thrones . Since Beauty Bakerie founder Cashmere Nicole paid homage to the HBO series with her Game of Cones palette ($38), it only seemed right to celebrate the release of the show's latest trailer with a "seven kingdoms"-inspired eye using her shades—which I dipped into wet for extra pigment and control. And yes, I really did use 7 of the 12 shades in this palette, including
What's [email protected] . See you next week!
- Teen Mom 2 star Jenelle Evans is 'sick and tired of a million people asking' her about her love life... about a month after her divorce filing from husband David Eason
- 'Radical love' is one of Aspen's 'Big Ideas.'
- It Ain’t Over: Cyber Monday Means There’s Still Time to Buy Black!
- Big Beauty Tuesday: ‘Before I Let Go’ of Essence Festival 2019, I Have to Say Thank You to Black Women
- Making Miss Black America: As the Pageant Turns 50, an Early Contestant Looks Back
- Revolution, Reparations, Revelry: The Root’s Black (AF) Gift Guide 2019
- Savvy student creates her own beauty advent calendar for £10 - using freebies and sample-size products she received after signing up to Facebook ads
- Before She Was 2nd: Daphne Maxwell-Reid Broke Beauty Barriers
- Love Island's Olivia Buckland nearly loses her bikini top as she is almost knocked over by a HUGE wave on Barbados break with husband Alex Bowen
- My Big Fat Fabulous Life's Whitney Way Thore announces she became engaged to Chase Servino two months ago... after dating her cousin in 2017
- 'No More Music': Rihanna Drops New Fenty, Photographs Her Own Campaign, and Still Finds Time to Troll Us
- ‘Orange Is the New Black’: Caged Heat
Loved Black-Owned Beauty Month? Introducing Big Beauty Tuesdays! have 880 words, post on www.theroot.com at March 5, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono.Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.