advertisement advertisement advertisement Silicon Valley has plenty of critics, but not many of them are tech company founders. Fewer still regularly tweet about breaking up Google, quitting Facebook, and holding Tesla to account for its Autopilot failures. advertisement advertisement No wonder David Heinemeier Hansson, cofounder and CTO of Basecamp and creator of web application framework Ruby on Rails, has over 400,000 Twitter followers. "A handful of companies have colonized the web, and they're choking it," he says. Don't get him started on venture capital firms. Two years ago, he and fellow Basecamp cofounder and CEO Jason Fried decided to do something about it. The culmination of that work is a paid, $99-per-year email service called Hey , which launches today. Along with protecting users from the types of invasive surveillance tactics that have become de rigueur online, Hey also contains some radical ideas about the way that modern correspondence should work. Silicon Valley will be watching the product closely: Consumers like to say they value their privacy, but are they finally willing to pay for it? From tech founder to tech critic Until recently, Hansson and Fried were mostly content to nurture their profitable project management software business, which has… Read full this story
- Big tech is not the big problem
- The Big Tech Show: Should we break Google and Facebook up?
- Trump ramps up claims of Big Tech bias
- Big-tech breakup? Elizabeth Warren takes on Amazon and Google
- UK seeks Big Tech crackdown amid Brexit chaos
- Apple is set to take on Netflix with new streaming platform
- 'They're in our heads': TV series tackles big-tech nightmare
- Don't shoot the Messenger: my take on meeting Mark Zuckerberg
- Apple event: iPhone maker launches new credit card and TV streaming service
- A new age of street smarts: London's transport revolution
- Apple event: iPhone maker launches new credit card and TV streaming service to rival Netflix and Amazon
- Microsoft’s new disc-less Xbox has finally arrived
Meet the Big Tech critic behind Hey, Basecamp’s radical new email platform have 317 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at June 15, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.