Time to bust out the eye glitter — Netflix has snagged the rights to one of the world’s longest-running live TV events, confirming that it will air the 2019 and 2020 Eurovision Song Contest broadcasts in the US. While Netflix will not air the competition live, it’s a big win for US fans who were left without an official channel to watch the contest this year.It also marks an interesting shift into event television for the company, which has long stuck to movies, TV series and its own original produced content. While Netflix won’t air the broadcasts live, picking up a live show that draws as many as 200 million viewers around the world could herald a bigger shift for the streaming company.Under the deal, Netflix picks up the US video-on-demand rights to the two Eurovision semifinals and the grand final. All three broadcasts from the 2019 contest will land on Netflix on Monday, July 22. Netflix will also air the semifinals and grand final in 2020, after the live broadcast, though it has not confirmed dates.If you haven’t heard of Eurovision, you’re officially missing one of the greatest (and kitschiest) television events in the world. The song contest catapulted… Read full this story
- Netflix picks up western crime drama Longmire for season five
- Netflix picks up futuristic new series based on sci-fi novel Altered Carbon
- Netflix picks up more ABC shows for streaming
- 8 Oscar-nominated movies you can watch on Netflix now
- The Cloverfield Paradox may have cost Netflix more than $50 million
- How to get US Netflix TV shows on your iPad or Mac in the UK
- The best comedy movies on Netflix for March
- Netflix sets its sights on indie film distribution, acquires rights to 3 more upcoming projects
- The 17 shows Netflix has canceled, including recently cut comedy 'Everything Sucks'
- Netflix gets its first TV BAFTA but it's not the one you expected
- Netflix making the "Venn diagram of TV" with new shared profile feature
- Should you watch Netflix using your Gear VR? Probably not
Netflix picks up US rights to Eurovision have 338 words, post on www.cnet.com at July 19, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.