Time to bust out the eye glitter — Netflix has snagged the rights to one of the world’s longest-running live TV events, confirming that it will air the 2019 and 2020 Eurovision Song Contest broadcasts in the US. While Netflix will not air the competition live, it’s a big win for US fans who were left without an official channel to watch the contest this year.
It also marks an interesting shift into event television for the company, which has long stuck to movies, TV series and its own original produced content. While Netflix won’t air the broadcasts live, picking up a live show that draws as many as 200 million viewers around the world could herald a bigger shift for the streaming company.
Under the deal, Netflix picks up the US video-on-demand rights to the two Eurovision semifinals and the grand final. All three broadcasts from the 2019 contest will land on Netflix on Monday, July 22. Netflix will also air the semifinals and grand final in 2020, after the live broadcast, though it has not confirmed dates.
If you haven’t heard of Eurovision, you’re officially missing one of the greatest (and kitschiest) television events in the world. The song contest catapulted Celine Dion and ABBA to stardom, brought the world Volare (the Italian-chorus classic made famous by Dean Martin) and regularly serves up everything from ear-worm pop bangers, to death-metal demons and singing grandmas.
All the songs from Big Little Lies season 2 so far: Sufjan Stevens, Portishead, Donna Summers and Patti Smith are among the artists underscoring the Monterey Five.
Our biggest Stranger Things season 3 WTF questions: Hawkins is full of loose ends, but there are even more mysteries lurking far further from the city limits.
- Simms weighs in on Jets-Giants debate: doubt 'anyone is regretting their draft picks right now'
- Tony Romo makes his early pick for Super Bowl LIII matchup
- Report: Raptors want to acquire top 10 pick to draft Kentucky's Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
- Dear Netflix, nix this live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender show, now
- Lucifer will see a TV afterlife thanks to Netflix
- South Philly Barbacoa will be featured on Netflix's 'Chef's Table'
- Andy Serkis-Matt Reeves team-up bodes well for Netflix’s Animal Farm
- Get Your First Look at Netflix's Magical New
- Shiel be right, mate: Free agency with keep Hawthorn's list healthy
- NFL Week 6 picks: Giants upset Eagles, Chiefs get in wild shootout with Patriots
- NFL Week 6 picks, time, TV: Chiefs, Mahomes lose in wild shootout with Brady, Patriots
- 'An amazing feeling.' What Royals draft picks are saying about joining KC
Netflix picks up US rights to Eurovision have 430 words, post on www.cnet.com at July 19, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono.Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.