With the third Avengers film “Infinity War,” directors Joe and Anthony Russo successfully accomplished something that has never been done before: tying a handful of superhero movie franchises into one epic crossover blockbuster. But after 2019’s untitled “Avengers 4” comes out, which will bring the current main Marvel story arc to a close, the Russos say they will be taking a break from superheroes.
At least until they get to tackle another much-beloved Marvel storyline.
While participating in a Q&A during a special screening of “Infinity War” in Hollywood Wednesday, the directing duo was asked if, given Disney’s upcoming acquisition of the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and other character rights from Fox, they would reconsider taking that break.
“Not until they’re ready to make ‘Secret Wars,’” Joe Russo said. The audience erupted into cheers.
— SideshowCollectibles (@collectsideshow) November 29, 2018
“Secret Wars” is a 1984 crossover event which features nearly every major superhero and supervillain in the Marvel universe. In it, a being known as the Beyonder teleports Earth’s mightiest heroes and villains to a place called Battleworld, where they are forced to fight to decide which side is truly more powerful. The 12-issue comic series was written by Jim Shooter with artwork by Mike Zeck and Bob Layton.
Joe Russo has said “Secret Wars” was one of his favorite comic book storylines growing up. And considering that “Infinity War” grossed over $2 billion at the box office and was an overall critical success, it seems well within the realm of possibility that Disney would let the Russos helm such a project.
And certainly it would make the fans smile.
BEFORE YOU GO
- Film review: Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War
- Avengers: Infinity War movie review
- Avengers 4 title: What the Infinity War sequel could be called
- Avengers Infinity War: Sebastian Stan reveals scene with Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer
- Avengers: Infinity War: Marvel screened 30 minutes of new footage and everyone's very excited
- When is Avengers: Infinity War out? UK release date, cast, plot, trailer, age rating and runtime
- Avengers: Infinity War: Thanos promises to wipe out the Avengers in new teaser trailer
- The Ultimate Avengers: BIGGEST superhero movie of all time tipped to be £125m marvel
- Avengers: Infinity War is out NOW! What’s the age rating, when was it released in the UK, what’s the running time and who’s in the cast?
- Avengers Infinity War: New trailer sees Black Widow take the fight to the Black Order
- Avengers: Infinity War cast: Carrie Coon plays Black Order member Proxima Midnight
- Robert Downey Jr. gives emotional speech at Avengers: Infinity War premiere
Russo Brothers Say They're Done With Superheroes — Until Marvel Is Ready To Make 'Secret Wars' have 488 words, post on www.huffingtonpost.com at November 29, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono.Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.