Who is Jeremy Rifkin and why does he have economists worried? After Europe and China, his message of disruptive change is now stirring interest in New Zealand. JOHN MCCRONE reports. Artificial meat gets you thinking. If it is another exponential technology – a wave breaking over the world in the next five to 15 years – how can the New Zealand economy survive? Auckland food futurist Dr Rosie Bosworth sounded the alarm bells at the Tipping Points conference, hosted by the Environmental Defence Society (EDS) last August. Bosworth says lab-grown meat only got going in 2013 when a Dutch university start-up – funded by the wealth of Google’s Sergey Brin – managed to culture strips of beef muscle and produce a first hamburger patty. Now there are a whole host of high tech start-ups flooding into the field, aiming to make artificial yet realistic everything, from chicken and fish, to milk and even leather, she says. READ MORE:NZ on road to becoming the Detroit of agricultureActing on carbon: What youth has to sayYouTube: The Third Industrial Revolution: A Radical New Sharing EconomyVimeo: The Future of Farming: Disruptive food technology, Dr Rosie Bosworth And it is a certainty the price of these… Read full this story
- Set for the next industrial revolution
- EAC must not be left behind in Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Law must be adapted for the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Nigeria’s 4th industrial revolution policies’re in the right direction — Dumont, Microsoft COO
- Labour leadership: Owen Smith wants 'new industrial revolution'
- Britain's luxury car industry at risk without Brexit deal
- What a decade on the edge of change has taught me about 'the future'
- Tech training vital to adapt in Industry 4.0
- In Asia Pacific the climate crisis is happening now, not in the future
- Processing, manufacturing industry sees trade surplus for first time
- 5G key for Viet Nam in Industry 4.0
- Mutations in a father's sperm could predict risk of autism in children, study finds
The future of everything: Why the third industrial revolution is a risk to NZ have 325 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at March 31, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.