Photo: Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images For several years, Hungary has been the name American liberal intellectuals have given to their worst domestic nightmares. Hungary’s president, Viktor Orbán, has fashioned an apparently permanent majority for his conservative Fidesz Party by wielding the levers of the state to marginalize the social, political, and legal power of his opposition. American conservatives are now becoming fascinated in equal measure with Orbán’s Hungary. The liberal nightmare of an authoritarian America is becoming the conservative dream. Orbán’s attacks on liberal democracy long predate Donald Trump’s candidacy. Five years ago, Orbán delivered a famous speech denouncing liberal democracy (“liberal values today incorporate corruption, sex, and violence”) and promising an alternative. To the extent American conservatives paid Orbán any attention then, it was to denounce him, perhaps while throwing in a swipe at the Obama administration for failing to confront him forcefully enough. The Republican Party’s growing defense of Orbán is a window through which we can glimpse its slow descent into authoritarianism. Orbán’s political style, combining hyperbolic denunciations of Muslim immigrants with anti-Semitic tropes targeting George Soros as puppeteer, anticipated Trump’s by several years. He has won a place in the president’s circle of trust. Orbán,… Read full this story
- Muslim-Mexican scapegoats in Trump’s America: Voices
- Bolling: Trump's 'America First' Message Is Rattling Europe
- Donald Trump is America's snowflake in chief
- He's Not a 'Facts Guy': Obama Rips Trump, Says 'America Already Great'
- Clinton: Imagine an Angry Trump With America’s Military at His Disposal
- Donald Trump to America: Please impeach me
- Tomi Lahren lands job with a pro-Trump Great America Alliance
- Watters Heads to the Rodeo for Opinions on Trump's 'America First' Slogan
- Clinton and Trump give America same old in debate
- Trump says America isn't so innocent
- With Comey firing, Trump drags America deeper into crisis
- Transgender military ban: Trump isolates America once again
Trump’s Dream Is to Become America’s Viktor Orbán have 329 words, post on nymag.com at December 26, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.