DONALD Trump has made history after becoming the first US president to be impeached twice. Ten of his fellow Republicans joined Democrats in the House of Representatives to charge him with inciting an insurrection in the Capitol’s deadly, violent rampage. What is impeachment? Put simply, impeachment is when a sitting president is charged with crimes. In the case of Donald Trump, he has been accused of inciting insurrection by encouraging his supporters to storm the Capitol, Washington D.C., on January 6, 2021. The United States’ founders feared presidents abusing their powers, so they included in the Constitution a process for removing one from office. The president, under the Constitution, can be removed from office for “Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanours”.Impeachment begins in the House – the lower chamber of Congress. The “sole power of impeachment” is held by the House of Representatives. Lawmakers debate and vote on whether to bring charges against the president via approval of an impeachment resolution, or “articles of impeachment”. A simple majority is required – i.e. more than half of Congress must vote to impeach the president.Then the case is tried by the US Senate, where a two-thirds majority is needed to… Read full this story
- The 52 most off-the-wall lines from Donald Trump's Sunday night coronavirus briefing
- 'Have you injected your Dettol today?': Twitter ruthlessly mocks Donald Trump for suggesting Covid-19 can be treated by injecting disinfectant
- Democrat’s Impeachment Lawyer Says Trump Is Not Impeached If Pelosi Sits On Articles Of Impeachment
- Democrats Say Trump’s Halt to W.H.O. Funding Breaks ‘Same Spending Laws that Brought About His Impeachment’
- The Danger of Trump’s Political Accomplishments
- Impeachment TV: Senate Will Hold Final Vote On Articles Of Impeachment On Wednesday – Update
- In Deep review: Trump v intelligence – and Obama vs the people
- Does Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez have her eye on a Senate seat?
- The key area where Trump is trouncing Biden
- Libertarians view Amash as potential 2020 game changer for party
- Kelly Loeffler’s Money Is Her Biggest Problem and Her Only Hope
- Democrats Said Trump’s Lawyers Made A Great Case — For Calling Witnesses And Documents
What does impeachment mean for Donald Trump? have 348 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 14, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.