It has been almost five years since Amazon founder and CEO Jeffrey P. Bezos closed his purchase of the Washington Post for $250 million, and still we don’t know for certain why he bought it. President Donald Trump has been no help getting to the bottom of it, recently polluting the topic with his assertion—backed with zero evidence—that Bezos acquired the paper to “lobby” for Amazon. Bezos himself has taken a few shots at explaining his motivation. Two years ago, when Post Executive Editor Martin Baron pitched the question directly at the world’s wealthiest man in a public conversation, Bezos swung the civic-responsibility bat, connecting cleanly. Citing what would later become the paper’s dopey motto, “democracy dies in darkness,” Bezos continued, “Certain institutions have a very important role in making sure there is light, and I think the Washington Post has a seat, an important seat to do that, because we happen to be located here in the capital city of the United States of America.”Story Continued Below His slender responses might qualify as an answer, except who can believe that Bezos believes it? His professed affinity for illumination rarely extends to his businesses, as David Streitfeld and Christine Haughney… Read full this story
- Prime anchor: An Amazon warehouse town dreams of a better life
- How we survive the surveillance apocalypse
- The 10 most baffling Golden Globe wins and nominations of the millennium
- He's a former failed shoe salesman whose trendy office empire is taking over the world: TOM LEONARD tells the story of the $40billion eccentric who wants to change the way you work
- We Owe Most Of Our Greatest Tech To The Government, Here’s What It Should Do Next
- Liz Peek: Bloomberg run could hurt Warren and Buttigieg — but mayor would face uphill battle
- The money, job, marriage myth: are you happy yet?
- Is it time to go back to the Moon?
- Will Amazon Drones Really Be Arriving at a Backyard Near You?
- How Google Finally Got Design
- 2019 is the year tech couldn't stop screwing up
- Amazon 101: All Your Basic Questions Answered
What Does Jeff Bezos Want? have 354 words, post on www.politico.eu at April 17, 2018. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.