Shut down, Restart and Sleep are all options on Windows. Which one should you use? And when? HowStuffWorks Advertisement If, like most of us, you use a computer that runs Microsoft Windows, you probably already know that the Start menu gives you two ways to shut down your computer’s operations. You can click Shut Down, which basically does what the name describes. There’s also the option of Restart, which shuts down your computer for a moment, but then starts it up again. But aside from the fact that the computer doesn’t come back on again after you click Shut Down, in recent versions of the Windows operating system, there’s actually another important difference between the two options, according to software experts. They don’t shut down your computer in exactly the same way, and they should be used in different situations. What ‘Shut Down’ Does In older versions of Windows, Restart and Shut Down did the same thing, closing down programs and powering off the machine. But in Windows 8 and 10, that changed because of a new feature called Fast Startup, which is designed to eliminate what used to be that irritatingly long process of getting your PC up and… Read full this story
- NYSE trading floor is reopening today: Here are all the ways it will look different
- Coronavirus death count rises by only 170 today - the lowest since March 24 when lockdown began as total number killed by virus in UK reaches 34,636
- Elon Musk’s battle to reopen Tesla’s Fremont plant may shape his legacy
- Is Government set to scrap plans to reopen schools on June 1 amid huge backlash from unions? Poll reveals just 5% of teachers feel safe going back to the classroom as No10 insists it never fixed a return date for next month
- How to Stop Your Mac from Overheating
- These countries are reopening after coronavirus -- here's how they're doing it
What's the Difference Between Restarting and Shutting Down My Computer? have 327 words, post on computer.howstuffworks.com at February 4, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono Blog. If you want remove this page, please contact us.